16 February 2009

Church - for the age group?


Was listening to the video in the previous post and realised again that Mark Driscoll talks about targeting young men in their twenties. 

Now I not that some people (Nathan and Tim) think that I have rose coloured glasses on when it comes to Mark Driscoll. So guys prepare to be surprised.

Though I really like the fact that he is reaching men and not running a chickified church. I am concerned that they are not experiencing the blessing of having older men and women within the congregation. 

The church in the Bible is described as a family old and young, male and female. I would be interested to find the demographics of Mars Hill but I wonder how they are going with reaching everyone in their community rather then just young people. Old people need Jesus too.

I suppose a good measure for a church is that the demographics of the church match the demographics of the city, town or community that they are within.

 

3 comments:

  1. I'm with you on this one. I get frustrated at being boxed as a young mum, as though I'm not capable of serving in any capacity other than things involving small children. There is so much to learn from people in different demographics, and conversely, so much you can teach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim - were you surprised? I wasn't really.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um I was a bit... prepared to be more surprised... I'm agreeing with you chris. Sometimes it is so much easier to target the kind/age group/gender/race of people you want to target- Are you limiting God's grace to whom you think deserve it or whom your most comfortable :) in preaching too. I liked the video of him being interviewed- it showed his ability to interact with a non christian which i think is vital for a pastor to have but wasn't too impressed how he just dismissed the complaint. I dunno the full story but- not much love shown there (small issue though)

    btw Stuss I think youd be great at sound. :)

    ReplyDelete